Until about a month ago, I didn’t know what the Liebster Award was. I stumbled across it on a someone else’s blog, and I literally thought, “I’ll never be nominated for that.” It was a real Sad Panda moment.
And then I forgot about it.
And then Jules from One Ruud Mom nominated me! I now get to start referring to my blog as “award winning.” Thanks Jules! And don’t forget to check out her blog; she has a pretty amazing story to tell.
The Liebster Award is given to bloggers from bloggers. The only criteria is that you have less than 200 followers. It’s both a blogger love fest and a way for readers to discover new blogs.
So here’s how it works. I thank Jules for the nomination (see above). Then I nominate up to 11 other bloggers/blogs who fit the criteria.
And my nominations go to…
I Try: The Additive Property of Happiness
Queen of the Land of Twigs n Berries
At Home With Meg
Kuanyin’s Travels (Globetrotting with a Toddler)
Second Chance Mom
Musings by the Bay
Life is Sweeter By Design
Then I answer 11 questions from Jules, tell you 11 random facts about myself, and give the nominees 11 questions to answer when they post about the Liebster Award on their blogs. Onward!
1. WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY IN YOUR LIFE LOOK LIKE?
It’s about to change, but during the week, I get up by 7am. Sometimes my daughter is up (yelling, “Mommy!”), sometimes she isn’t. My husband works an overnight shift (also about to change), and he usually walks in the door at this time. He gets Emme ready and out the door for daycare.
Because I prioritize coffee over everything else, I get ready as quickly as possible (no makeup and my hair goes in a ponytail). I check my email about a dozen times before I walk out the door at 7:50am. My sister meets me outside my house, and we take the train into the city together every morning.
I’m at my desk by 8:35. I’m work in marketing for a university, and I spend most of the day on the computer or in meetings. I also gchat with friends and coworkers. I rarely leave my desk for lunch. Basically, I have about a million bad habits. I leave work at 4:15pm.
My husband has already picked up our daughter when I get home at 5. We make her dinner and just hang out until we put her to bed at 7. I spend the evening catching up on freelance work, writing, and doing stuff for my blog. I actually feel like I work around the clock. I am a person who needs downtime, and I have to watch at least one television show every night, so I do my best to put down the computer for at least a little while. Lately, I go to bed around 11pm, which is too late for me.
2. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN BLOGGING?
Eight-plus years, if you count my old blog. But I had become a thoroughly unreliable blogger for the last few years. I actually “quit” for a awhile, but that’s what made me realize that I wanted to put more energy into blogging and start something new. I starting planning Mommy Sanest in the spring, but actually started writing and telling people about it over the summer.
3. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO START BLOGGING?
I like to hear myself talk. This is the next best thing.
4. WHAT IS THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE ANYONE HAS EVER GIVEN YOU?
Like I mentioned once or twice already, I am planning to make some life changes, including my job situation. The advice that seems to be helping me the most is to think about what the worst case scenario is. So when I think about making a career switch, this is a big decision and scary for someone who has always been employed in a traditional office environment. But at the end of the day, what’s the worst case scenario? Money might be tight for awhile. I might not get enough clients. I might end up having to go back to a traditional marketing job in an office. It’s possible that that will mean a pay cut. It’s a slightly negative way of looking at things, and I realize that, but it makes me feel better. I believe that I’m going to be successful, but if I’m not and this is what failure looks like, I can handle it.
5. IF YOU COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, WHERE WOULD YOU GO?
Somewhere with a beach and good food. Maybe Barcelona or Nice or Cabo San Lucas. I don’t travel so much as I vacation.
6. WHAT IS YOUR DREAM JOB?
I dunno… I want to write. I like the idea of having an à la carte career–a little of this, a little of that. I want a part-time schedule. I want freedom and balance. I want to take care of my house and myself and my family.
But mostly I want to win the lottery. If I won the lottery, I’d start a new blog called Living La Vida Lottery.
7. IF YOUR LIFE WAS A BOOK, WHAT WOULD THE TITLE BE?
Living La Vida Lottery
8. IF YOUR BOOK WAS MADE INTO A MOVIE, WHO WOULD PLAY YOU?
Based on looks (OR SO I’VE BEEN TOLD), Bridget Fonda
9. WHAT IS ONE SKILL YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO LEARN?
I want to learn how to sew, but I’m afraid to invest in a machine because I’m worried I’ll never actually finish any projects.
10. HOW DO YOU UNWIND AFTER A STRESSFUL DAY?
I love to soak in a hot bath and read though my bathroom isn’t ideal for this. I’d consider murdering someone for a real master bathroom with a soaking tub. And I do actually find time to do this once every couple of weeks. I also talk to friends when I’m stressed out. I have a few go-to friends who will listen to me go on and on. Thanks friends!
11. IF YOU HAD A WHOLE UNINTERRUPTED DAY TO YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
I could lie and tell you that I’d do something amazing and special for myself, but I’d probably end up on my couch binge watching Sex and the City episodes on E! with a frozen pizza and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.
11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT LOU
- We bought a 100+ year old home and renovated it for about five months before moving in. And when I say “we renovated,” I mean the contractor and crew.
- I had a dream about a baby girl shortly after I met my husband, but a few months before we started dating. I knew when I woke up that the baby was my baby even though I couldn’t figure out why my kid had dark hair and olive skin. Now I know.
- I’m from Ohio.
- I moved to Chicago for graduate school. I left immediately following graduate school and moved to Boston for three weeks before I was offered a job at a PR agency back in Chicago. So I turned around and came back.
- My sister and her family live a block and a half from us.
- We only have one car. We actually had two cars when we were in the city.
- I taught Zumba for two years before having Emme. Someday I plan to write about why I I quit.
- I do everything on my computer/phone/tablet/online, except to-do lists. I have to hand write to-do lists for some reason. Otherwise, they will not be done.
- My favorite TV shows right now are The Mindy Project and Nashville, and if either one isn’t renewed (I think Nashville is on the bubble), I will be pissed.
- I met my husband at an event called Nerds at Heart.
- I’ve been in PR/marketing communications for my entire career, which started 14 years ago.
11 QUESTIONS FOR THE NOMINEES
- How long have you been blogging?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What’s your favorite blog post that you’ve ever written?
- Do you log onto your computer/phone within the first hour of waking up in the morning?
- What’s the best book you read in 2014?
- What are your three favorite TV shows?
- Are you a dog person, a cat person, an animal person or none of the above?
- What do you do or are you trained to do professionally… other than blogging, obviously ;)?
- What is your favorite hobby… other than blogging, obviously?
- Where did you spend your last vacation?
- If money wasn’t a factor, how would you spend your time?